Saturday, November 7, 2009

Viggo Mortensen @ AFI Tribute: Let Me Count the Ways




There are so many reasons why I adore Viggo Mortensen. Yes adore is a strong word. Like doesn't seem to capture the thrill of seeing him on film or in person. He radiates the best qualities in a man. A simple kiss in EASTERN PROMISES is more sexy and more passionate than most sex scenes in films could ever be. Sometimes less is more and you don't need to be raw as in MONSTER'S BALL to get your point across. There is something about his eyes, his hands and his mouth that play the sweetest symphony on film. Those expressive eyes and hands makes one melt. I wonder if he knows it? Is it a natural gift or is it something he cultivated. Regardless of how he does it, Viggo Mortensen is simply complicatedly magic.




I've had an amazing opportunity to photograph and video thousands of people over the year. But of all the people that weren't celebs and were, Mortensen is on a whole different stratosphere. As a photographer who loves shooting MEN, Viggo is the Kat's meow. I shot about 100 frames of him recently and only 2 were out of focus. My camera fell in love and the only reason the two frames were not in focus, was I didn't allow the flash to recharge because I wanted more. I'm bewildered by those who transcend being a star and are enclosed magic. Viggo Mortensen is magic in human form. And it was a dream to photograph him.


No comments:

Post a Comment