Monday, July 15, 2013

A Night For Trayvon Martin: Activists Stand Their Ground In Hollywood

I had no idea there was going to be a March for Trayvon Martin or that I was going to join it. Twitter can be thanked for that. I had already had a full day of work but after seeing some tweets about Justice For Trayvon Martin, I decided to go. It is easy to be cynical and to wonder if peaceful marches make a difference. I've been to numerous ones in the past and started to question if it was worth being brutalized by the police or marginalized by the so called news media. A pain in my heart made me join one more protest. Activism is like working out when you don't want to and you have a million excuses not to but you must do it anyway. I don't have a son or daughter and I don't know if I will ever have children. I do know that if Trayvon was my child I would be heartbroken, bitter and maybe inconsolable. What could possibly help ease the pain? Knowing that others stood their ground for my son. That people around the world who didn't know me or my son, chanted his name and made sure he wasn't forgotten. My heart would heal a little bit more knowing fellow compassionate beings took over the streets for my child. We must agitate against complacency. We must work our activism muscles and not get atrophied in sadness and inaction.

No comments:

Post a Comment