Saturday, July 13, 2013

Middle Schoolers Discuss Peer Pressure & Cutting/Self-Harm

Slightly over a month ago, I did a video on Paris Jackson's suicide attempt. I was (and still am) concerned about her welfare. It isn't easy being a teenager whether your famous or not and I wanted to do something about my concern for kids who feel they have no one to talk to. I never understood cutting. And when I first heard about it several years ago, I just didn't get it. With a little more wisdom via suffering "the slings and arrows" of fate as well as everyday life, one can easier grasp that we all have our peculiar addictions. Some people drink excessive amounts of alcohol, some escape pain through drugs, over eating, starving themselves, over exercising, hoarding, dangerous sex or extreme celibacy. We all suffer. We all handle it different ways. So what can we do about feeling helpless? I think talking about it is the first step.
I want to thank these three intelligent, kind and lovely young ladies who took the time to share with me and with you their thoughts about being in Middle School and growing up in a world full of peer pressure. They also share that many of their classmates follow the disturbing trend of cutting and starving themselves. I don't have children but if I did I would be intimidated on what would be the best way to raise my child in this world of twitter, FB, Instagram, celebrity role models, TV and peer pressure. What I can do, is Listen, share my insights and make videos and hopefully create a dialogue for change and growth.

No comments:

Post a Comment