Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Pulitzer Prize Winner for Non-Fiction Douglas A. Blackmon's Slavery by Another Name

I was minding my own business just covering the Leimert Book Fair when I had to put down my camera and just listen to the stories from "Slavery By Another Name: The Re-Enslavement of Black Americans from the Civil War to World War II" by Douglas A. Blackmon.
I started to feel sick and I went over to someone backstage and said I was getting really mad listening to Douglas speak about the injustice and incarceration of so many Blacks in America. My friend reminded me to breath and he said it was the truth and the truth was painful. I had to excuse myself and I wept. Later I told Mr. Blackmon, thank you so much for making me cry and wanting a drink. I also thanked him for having the balls to write such an important book. "Slavery By Another Name" by Douglas A. Blackmon is a must read for anyone who wants to understand the history of America.






No comments:

Post a Comment